While the holidays are drawing to a close, many households in New Jersey leave their decorations up well into January. As a result, your home and guests will still be faced with risks related to holiday decorations, from Christmas tree to candles left burning around the home. The U.S. Fire Administration explains how homeowners can take the right steps to prevent fires and injuries in their homes during the holiday season.
Stringing holiday lights is a tradition in many homes, but these lights are not without their hazards. Faulty wiring or a problem bulb can easily lead to disaster if a fire should spark. That’s why you should check your light each year before hanging them. If you notice any exposed wiring, purchase new lights and throw the old ones away. If you have a burned-out bulb, replace it before hanging your lights.
If you buy a live tree, make sure it’s watered regularly to keep it fresh. The dryer your tree, the more likely it is to start a fire. Place your tree far away from any open flames or heating elements. Even space heaters can spark a fire, so make sure they’re kept at least three feet away from them and other heat sources. If you have a fireplace in the home, make sure it’s properly maintained and protected.
Keep in mind that a large portion of home fires are started by candles. Never candles unattended, especially when you have pets or young children at home. Keep candles far away from anything flammable, such as paper or fabrics. If you’re concerned about your fire risk, consider buying artificial illumination to take the place of candles.