What Should I Do After A Car Accident?
It is important that you call a lawyer as soon as possible following the accident. At Goldstein & Goldstein, LLP, we only get paid if we recover money for you, so you only stand to gain in having the accident reviewed by skilled legal representation for free to ensure that you recover the damages you are entitled to.
What Should I Do After An Accident?
The outcome of your auto accident claim and the damages you can recover depend in great part on what you do immediately after the accident.
- Take pictures – It is important that you take pictures of the accident. Photos of both your car and that of the other vehicle, as well as pictures of the surrounding area, can help to prove fault.
- Don’t give a statement – Never give a statement to the other insurance company without first speaking to an attorney.
- Don’t say you’re not injured – Whether you feel you are injured or not, do not state that you are not injured and do not feel any pain immediately after the accident to the police or other people involved in the accident. Some injuries show symptoms later and saying that you were not hurt can cause you to be blocked from compensation for those injuries.
- Get witness contact information – If anyone saw the accident, make sure that you get his or her contact information.
- Report the accident – In New Jersey, police no longer respond to all accidents. You must go to the police station and make a report of the accident.
- Let your own insurance company know – Contact your insurance company as soon as possible and provide your account of how the incident occurred.
- Keep all documents – From bills to lists of doctors you visited, document everything and keep all receipts. These will be important in establishing how much you should recover in damages.
We Stand Up For Essex County Car Accident Victims
At Goldstein & Goldstein, LLP, we will skillfully guide you through the process of recovering the damages you are entitled to. If you don’t recover damages, we don’t get paid.
To schedule a free, no-pressure consultation to review the details of your auto injury or accident and assess what you are able to recover, please call our East Orange office at 973-609-5693 or fill out our online contact form. We can provide services in English, Spanish and French Creole.